Spinal manipulative therapy (SMT) performed by Chiropractors is effective at helping acute, subacute and chronic back pain as well as some arm and leg pains (1). Chiropractic Care is better than medication for neck pains of a mechanical nature (2). Mechanical neck pain is a pain experience from muscles and joints of the neck and shoulders that can also cause head pain (cervicogenic headache). Chiropractic Care is therefore helpful for cervicogenic headaches and migraines as well as some types of dizziness (1).
From a preventative approach to muscle and joint health receiving regular Chiropractic Care can complement a lifestyle of regular movement and exercise efforts. Because, we learn as we go through life, we can’t tell when normal motion has become idiosyncratic, transforming from normal to usual. Changing from a usual habit of movement to a new normal habit of movement is like learning a new PIN number as you simultaneously allow time (3-4 months) to forget your old PIN (unneeded habit) (3).
In an ideal world, a Chiropractic Care Plan would be about 4 months in duration. Helping you reinforce a healthier muscle and joint habit of synchronous movement and allow time enough to ‘forget’ unwanted inefficient ways of moving. It goes without saying that one ought to finish their course of Chiropractic Care to achieve their best results. If a Care Plan is finished early, because aches and pains are better, muscles and joints may remain injured (4), leading to a likely reoccurrence of muscle aches, joint pains, and greater expense (5).
Chiropractors look to help you achieve movement with ease. Chiropractic Care (6) includes all interventions provided by a Chiropractor that are intended to improve health such as SMT, Movement, Exercise, Rehabilitation, Preventative, Public Health, Postural, Lifestyle, Workplace Advice and adjunct therapies such as Ultrasound.
(1) Bronfort G, Haas M,Evans R, Leininger B, and Triano J. Effectiveness of Manual Therapies: The UK Evidence Report Chiro Osteo (2010) 18 3
(2) Bronfort G, Evans R, Anderson AV, Svendsen KH, Bracha Y and Grimm RH. Spinal Manipulation Medication or Home Exercise with Advice An RCT Ann Int Med (2012) 156 1
(3) Fiona Kumfor and Sicong Tu. How our Brain Forgets Information to make room for New Memories. The Independent Newspaper, Sunday 7th June 2015.
(4) Hides JA et al. Multifidus Muscle Recovery is Not Automatic after Resolution of Acute (pain) first episode. The Spine Journal (1996)
(5) Wasiak R et al. Work Disability and Costs caused by Reoccurrence of Low Back Pain Episodes: Longer and More Costly Than First Episodes. The Spine journal (2006)
(6) General Chiropractic Council. The Code (2016), Glossary.