Chiropractors are effective at helping back pain as well as other body pains (1). Chiropractic Care is better than usual medication for neck pains of a mechanical nature (2) and is helpful for cervicogenic headaches and migraines as well as some types of dizziness (1).
A preventative approach to muscle and joint health includes regular Chiropractic Care to complement your good diet and good exercise habits. Through Chiropractic Care changing from a bad habit of movement to a healthier habit of movement is like learning a new PIN number as you simultaneously allow time (3-4 months) to forget your old PIN (bad habit) (3).
In an ideal world, a Chiropractic Care Plan would be 3-4 months in duration. If a Care Plan is finished early, because aches and pains are better, muscles and joints may remain injured (4), leading to greater longer term pain and expense (5).
Chiropractors look to help you achieve movement with ease with Chiropractic Care (6). Defined by the General Chiropractic Council as
‘interventions by Chiropractors that are designed to improve health’,
including but not limited to:
Advice, Explanation and Reassurance
Exercise and or Rehabilitation
Promoting Behaviour Change
and adjunct therapies such as Ultrasound and Interferential.
(1) Bronfort G, Haas M,Evans R, Leininger B, and Triano J. Effectiveness of Manual Therapies: The UK Evidence Report Chiro Osteo (2010) 18 3
(2) Bronfort G, Evans R, Anderson AV, Svendsen KH, Bracha Y and Grimm RH. Spinal Manipulation Medication or Home Exercise with Advice An RCT Ann Int Med (2012) 156 1
(3) Fiona Kumfor and Sicong Tu. How our Brain Forgets Information to make room for New Memories. The Independent Newspaper, Sunday 7th June 2015.
(4) Hides JA et al. Multifidus Muscle Recovery is Not Automatic after Resolution of Acute (pain) first episode. The Spine Journal (1996)
(5) Wasiak R et al. Work Disability and Costs caused by Reoccurrence of Low Back Pain Episodes: Longer and More Costly Than First Episodes. The Spine journal (2006)
(6) General Chiropractic Council. The Code (2016), Glossary.